Building, Housing, and Land Use

The Department of Building, Housing, and Land Use is responsible for the administration and enforcement of all ordinances related to issues of development, building, housing, land use, and infrastructure. The department comprises three (3) divisions: The Division of Building Inspection, the Division of Property Maintenance, and the Division of Community Development. In addition, the department is the administrative arm of the Planning Board, the Zoning Board of Adjustment, the Rent Stabilization Board, and the Construction Board of Appeals. Since 1996, the department has also provided technical assistance to the City’s Economic Development Commission. The Division of Property Maintenance is responsible for zoning, property maintenance, and housing.

The Administrative Officer for the City who heads the Division is responsible for all support services relating to cases appearing before the Planning Board and Zoning Board of Adjustment. These cases include all site plan applications, sub-division of land, and variances sought from the City’s Zoning Ordinance. The Division of Community Development is primarily charged with planning, engineering, and infrastructure improvements. Other duties assigned to this Division include Master Plan preparation and up-date, program administration, and other activities relating to the physical and economic growth of the City. The City’s consulting municipal engineer reports to this division and all Community Development functions are coordinated here. The activities of the Division of Building Inspection are guided by the City’s Construction Official who is responsible for the review and approval of all plans submitted to the City for construction permits. As required, the Building, Plumbing, Electrical, and Fire Sub-Code officials review the plans before any permits are issued. During the course of construction, all building activities covered under permit are inspected for compliance to the approved plans.

Building and Zoning Forms

(Required beginning January 1, 2005)

Note: The Certificate of Continued Occupancy is not available online and must be picked up at the Building Dept. The form must be filled out in triplicate. The cost is $100 for a single family; two-family is $150.

Guidelines for Installing a Private Property Pool:

1. Contact the Building Department at 201-646-3920 X2020

2. File a Zoning Application (fees apply) and attach a survey showing the pool location

3. Once approved by the Zoning Officer, proper permits must be obtained to proceed. These permits include a Building Permit, Plumbing Permit, and Electrical Permit.

4. Once approved by Plan Review, pool installation may commence.

If you have additional questions, please contact our Construction Official, Ernie Sisco at 201-646-3920 X2001.